Child Witness Service
The Child Witness Service can give free emotional support and help a child under the age of 18 be ready for court.
This service does not provide services to accused children.
Child Witness Service can:
- Assess whether the child needs to give evidence in court.
- Help a child arrange to give evidence on CCTV from another room in the building instead of the courtroom.
- Keep the child and family informed about court dates.
- Explain where everyone in the courtroom will be and what they do, and what will happen.
- Go through the meaning of some of the legal words that they might hear.
- Give the child support on the day they have to give evidence, either in the courtroom or by CCTV.
- Deal with the prosecutor so they can keep the child and family informed about what is happening in the case.
Last updated: 28 August 2023