Exit to Opens Google in same window
Government of Western Australia State Coat of Arms
Children's Court of Western Australia
Government of Western Australia State Coat of Arms
Children's Court of Western Australia

Protection and Care

The Children's Court does not handle matters on divorce or separation of a child's parents. These matters come under the Family Court of Western Australia.

The Department of Communities has the power to look into concerns about the care of children. In some cases, if they think it is not safe for a child to stay with their parents, they might remove them from their care.

When that happens, they must start a case at the Children's Court and ask the court to make a protection order. Each parent as well as other important people in the child's life can have a say in the case.

The Children's Court listens to everyone in the case. Then a decision is made if there should be a protection order. These kinds of cases are called "protection and care" proceedings. Child protection proceedings come under the Children and Community Services Act 2004.

Protection and Care Proceedings Process

The First Steps

How the Department of Communities starts a case.

Interim Orders

Temporary orders while the case is happening.

The Application

The start of the court case process.

Stages of a Case

The process involved in the court case.

Protection Order

Information about the different types of orders.

Going Back to Court

Information on why a case would go back to court.

Information also on...

See also...

Legal Aid - Child Protection

Last updated: 29 June 2023

[ back to top ]