On 29 May 2023 there was a special sitting of all Western Australian courts and tribunals. This sitting was for the Western Australian Courts and Tribunals Reconciliation Statement.
For the first time in the state's history, there was a joint sitting of the heads of jurisdiction of:
- the Supreme Court of Western Australia;
- the District Court of Western Australia;
- the Family Court of Western Australia;
- the Children's Court of Western Australia;
- the Magistrates Court of Western Australia;
- the Coroner's Court of Western Australia; and
- the State Administrative Tribunal.
The Reconciliation Statement is an important formal acknowledgement. It is about the history between the justice system and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people in Western Australia.
It sets out the courts and tribunals' commitment of access to justice. Ensuring that the courts and tribunals are culturally sensitive and culturally safe.
Report about the significance of the Reconciliation Statement. Includes the heads of our courts making the Statement.
Video of the whole court sitting when the Reconciliation Statement was made. Includes Welcome to Country by Mr Vaughn McGuire.
Last updated: 9 June 2023