Witness Arrangements and Payments
This Information Note relates to witness payments for the issue of conduct money and attendance fees in Children's Court cases.
The Court has reviewed its processes and the relevant legislative provisions.
Effective 1 October 2023 the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions for Western Australia (ODPP) will assume responsibility for the arrangement of witnesses and payment of witness costs, inclusive of:
- Travel and accommodation for witnesses for all matters that arise in the Perth Children's Court (Magistrates and President's Court);
- Travel and accommodation for witnesses for all Presidents court matters, including regional circuits;
- Expert witnesses; and
- Witness kilometre allowances.
The provisions in relation to attendance fees are broken into two sections:
- Provision of conduct money - The court will continue to provide conduct money, when requested, at the time a witness summons is issued by the court.
- Provision of an attendance fee following in person attendance - The court will no longer provide an attendance fee following a witnesses' attendance at court. The ODPP will have the witness complete an attendance fee form, complete with their bank details to allow an electronic funds transfer.
Staff at the registry counter will be able to assist customers with provision of the form, on forwarding of form and assistance with completion, if required.
Judge Hylton Quail
President of the Children's Court of Western Australia
8 September 2023
Last updated: 29 September 2023